CIAW is a public entity risk program that provides comprehensive property and liability coverage in conjunction with the highest quality risk management services. Founded in 1988 with 32 cities, the CIAW has since expanded to include special purpose and fire districts among its membership. CIAW is governed by a Board of Directors, comprised of elected member entities, who guide CIAW’s future.
CIAW is an insurance pool with a higher purpose. Our mission is to provide a sustainable risk pool, with the highest quality of services, in the state of Washington.
The CIAW Board of Directors contracts with a program administrator, Clear Risk Solutions, to carry out day-to-day administrative duties. They have specialized in risk pooling for over 40 years and administer several other pools in Washington which serve schools districts, municipalities, and counties. They work on CIAW’s behalf to secure necessary coverages, provide risk management, claims, and underwriting services, and work closely with the Board of Directors regarding pool initiatives, regulatory compliance, legislative matters, and more.
- Reinsurance Coverage: CIAW self-insures losses that are manageable and predictable. Reinsurance coverage is purchased to protect the members against catastrophic claims.
- Aggregate Stop Loss Coverage: CIAW purchases aggregate stop loss coverage to protect the program assets against an abnormal frequency of claims in one year. This coverage minimizes the risk of any retroactive assessments if the liability losses exceed the amount budgeted and collected from the membership.
- Risk Management: CIAW offers a comprehensive range of risk management and loss control services. By reducing the number of claims through membership education, overall insurance costs are reduced.
- Claims / Litigation Management: Through CIAW’s program administrator, claims are adjusted and handled in-house. Aggressive third-party adjusting is enhanced by their awareness of the individual needs of the membership. Members are included in the planning process and are vital to litigation settlement discussions.
- Broad Coverage / Competitive Cost: CIAW aims to provide the broadest coverage available to public entities. Controlling costs and providing stable rates throughout unpredictable insurance cycles is paramount to CIAW. The ultimate goal of the program is to reduce losses through on-site education and through sound fiscal management, eliminating large insurance cost fluctuations.